Academic Policy

George Mason University employs a decentralized model of academic administration.  On one hand, this permits academic units to develop academic policies and procedures that fit their specific needs; on the other, it is not always easy to know where to find all potentially relevant academic policy.

Policy exists on three levels: university, college, and department.  This page addresses university-level academic policy; please consult your college’s associate dean or your department chair for more information for policies at those levels.

University-level Policy

  • University Catalog. The University Catalog is the primary source for all policy related to students’ progress through academic degree programs, and is the definitive source for information on the degree programs themselves.
  • University Policies Website. The University Policies website typically houses policy whose central purpose concerns the administration of academic programs, especially when such policy involves coordination across multiple units or with external entities. This is also a site where policies reflecting regulatory requirements, such as those of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), may be housed.
  • Graduate Council. This site documents the activities and proceedings of the university’s Graduate Council. Although technically an advisory body, the decisions of the Graduate Council usually function as official interpretations and refinements of graduate policy. These decisions may also go on to be formalized in the University Catalog or the university’s policy website, but the Graduate Council site can be useful for clarifying the intent of a policy action or interpretation.
  • Other sources of academic policy recommendations. See also Faculty Senate Standing Committees and University Standing Committees (including the University Standing Committee on General Education), and the Distance Education Council.

Please contact Claudia Rector, Assistant Provost for Academic Affairs at 703-993-8679 with any questions.

About the Office of the Provost
About the Provost and
Executive Vice President
Organization and Staff
Academic Affairs
Academic Integrity
Academic Policy
Academic Program Review
e-MOU Process
Office of the University Registrar
Requesting Confidential Student
Contact Information
SCHEV Program Approvals
Student Academic Affairs,
Advising and Retention
Administration, Personnel & Budget
Faculty Appointments
Graduate Student Appointments
Distributed Campuses
Provost's IT Team
Councils & Committees
Academic Agreement and Project
Advisory Group (AAPAG)
Academic Council/Deans & Directors
Academic Enrollment Planning Team
Collaborative for Undergraduate
Education (CUE)
Confidential Student Contact
Information Committee
Credit Evaluation Advisory Committee (CEAC)
Cross-College Curriculum Committee
Mason Core Committee
Graduate Council
Faculty Senate
University Travel Advisory Committee (UTAC)
Enrollment Management
Strategic Enrollment Management
Division Structure
Enrollment Planning Reports
Student Financial Aid
Academic Enrollment Planning Team
Faculty Affairs & Development
Teaching and Learning
Faculty Appointments
Faculty Mentoring
Faculty Research Support
Faculty Senate and Faculty Handbook
Faculty Study Leave
Department Chair Resources
Global Education
Mason Study Abroad
INTO Mason
Office of Global Strategy
Graduate Education
Graduate Council
Graduate Education-Funded Awards & Grants
Graduate Fellowships
Graduate Student Academic Appeal
Graduate Student Appointments
Graduate Student Life
Subsidized Graduate Student
Health Insurance
Institutional Research & Assessment
Institutional Assessment
Institutional Research & Reporting
Mason Learning Solutions
Online Education
Research & Economic Development
Student Experience Redesign Project
Undergraduate Education
Undergraduate Council
Academic Honor Societies
Adult Completion Programs
Collaborative for Undergraduate
Education (CUE)
Commencement and Convocations
Cross-College Curriculum Committee
Honors College
Mason Core
Robinson Professors
Students as Scholars
Teaching and Learning
Writing Across the Curriculum
University Libraries
University Life