Every ten years, Mason’s accreditation with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) must be reaffirmed. We are now in the self-study phase of the reaffirmation and part of that self-study includes documenting and justifying the qualifications of all faculty and instructors of record. Compliance with this SACSCOC requirement is essential to a successful reaffirmation of accreditation.
In order to help ensure compliance with this standard, we have developed a Faculty Credentialing Manual. This manual, which can be accessed below, provides guidance and greater clarity to colleges/schools, departments, and local academic units (LAUs) regarding documenting and justifying the qualifications of our faculty members. In addition, the manual clarifies the responsibilities of all stakeholders in this process (faculty, departments/LAUs, colleges/schools, Office of the Provost). These responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that official transcripts are on file;
- Reviewing faculty qualifications based upon transcripts/degree discipline/course discipline matching;
- Ensuring (and documenting) that graduate instructors/teaching assistants receive appropriate training as specified by SACSCOC; and
- Providing justifications and documentation to the Office of the Provost when requested.
Download the GMU Faculty Credentialing Manual.
In order to view the document and all attachments, you must use Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. In Adobe, all of the appendices and reporting information are shown in the Attachments panel on the left side of the window. These attachments can be opened from within that panel. If you have difficulty, please access the appendices individually here:
- Appendix A – Ordering Credentials
- Appendix B – Transcript Request Form for Degrees Earned at Mason
- Appendix C – Faculty Qualifications Form
- Appendix D – Graduate Instructor of Record Documentation Form
- Appendix E – Justification Form for Alternate Credentialing
If you have questions, please contact Dr. Matt Smith, Director of Accreditation, at email@example.com