Money Management and Fiscal Issues
One of a department head's primary duties is managing the unit's budget. The fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30. Purchasing Made Easy: A Guide to Purchases and Payments is a helpful resource.
Deadlines for end-of-year purchases and/or payments begin in early March. Specific dates will be announced through Mason E-Files.
Additional guidance is available from several resources.
University Budget Office
The Office of Budget and Planning has numerous links and resources that provide information about the university’s budget and budget policies, including:
- The Executive Summary for the University Budget.
- Educational and General (E&G) Policies, including information about personnel budgets, fringe benefit budgets, hiring hourly wage workers, college work study allocation, and direct expenses.
- Auxiliary Enterprise Policies.
- Information about current fiscal year tuition, fees,room, and board rates.
- Payroll schedules.
- Forms for creating new positions, position replacement approvals for faculty and administrative faculty, and new organization requests.
Fiscal Services Office
Fiscal Services features information that department might find of particular help, including:
- Resources and Procedures, which includes a table listing quick access to useful material concerning Banner functionality and use, purchasing policies, travel, and equipment supervision and maintenance.
- How-to instructions, for such tasks as booking plane tickets or hotels, setting up catering services, checking personal issues such as Social Security and tax matters, and reimbursements.
- Forms related to purchasing, acquiring and managing departmental purchase cards (commonly called P-cards), accounts payable, and equipment inventory.
- Travel, as all individual travel authorizations and reimbursements are processed through Mason’s electronic travel resource, the Travel Request System.
- eVA, which is Virginia’s e-procurement system for goods and services that state agencies and institutions need. Use the eVA e-Mall application for purchases under $2,000.
Office of Sponsored Programs
This office can provide resources for faculty members managing externally sponsored projects. OSP helps resolve problems related to institutional cost sharing, contractual terms, budget matters, and changes to the accounts.