For New Faculty
Mason values the level of expertise and passion for learning our faculty provide our students in building a fulfilling academic experience.
It Takes a Village...
Working at George Mason University is a collaborative experience. Having the correct resource at your fingertips is invaluable to becoming familiar with campus and embarking on your career at Mason.
Attend Faculty Orientation
- For new adjunct faculty, learn more about Mason's New Adjunct Faculty Success Workshop.
- For new full-time faculty, learn more about Mason's New Faculty Orientation.
Emergency Preparedness and Notification
- George Mason University Police are reachable year-round, 24-hours a day by calling 911, or their non-emergency number 703-993-2810
- Everyone with a campus NetID (firstname.lastname@example.org) is automatically enrolled in our Mason Alert system. You may also choose to receive push notifications to your mobile device by managing your account here.
- Onboarding information is available through the NEW Center.
- Mason Card is your official university ID card and your key to life on campus: Get yours on any campus
- To check or change payroll deductions, leave and earnings balances and other personal employee payroll details, please login to the secure PatriotWeb site with your NetID.
- Visit Important Policies for Faculty to learn about Mason policies and how they apply to you.
- Learn more about parking options and purchase your permit online.
- Your academic unit will work with the Office of the Provost and HR & Payroll to set up the administrative details of your faculty appointment. Information about faculty appointments, including faculty salary minimums, submission of transcripts, and offer letters are all available.
- All new faculty are required to take the Title IX Overview and Sexual Harassment Prevention training offered by the Office of Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics.
- Visit Human Resources and Payroll for a list of required trainings.
- Attend Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) training in-person or online.
Teaching and Student Resources
- The Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning provides comprehensive support and professional development for teaching and learning for all Mason instructors including graduate students.
- TIP: Visiting General Teaching Resources is a good way to start!
- IT Services provides a wide range of support for technology in and out of the classroom.
- Identify and get support for student behaviors of concern with this guide.
Please visit the Research Support tab for a full suite of resources.
- Mason recongizies faculty accomplishments and contributions through multiple awards and programs. Please visit Faculty Recognition and the Stearns Center to learn more. The Stearns Center oversees Teaching Excellence Awards (recognizing full-time and adjunct faculty, and outstanding online teaching), among other recognitions.
There are a variety of benefits, discounts, and resources availabile to you as a Mason faculty member.
- The Mason Club: A place that faculty, staff, alumni, and retirees can finally call their own, a place to engage in conversation, exchange ideas, host visiting guests, and to meet new people.
- Discounts: Mason has collaborated with businesses to provide discounts on popular services and experiences - perks range from discounted Nationals tickets to fitness memberships, and more.
- NCFDD: Mason has an instutional membership to the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity. Learn more and activate your account.
We Can Help!
Contact Faculty Affairs and Development with any questions via email or phone (703-993-5876).