Awards and Grants
Mason strategically invests in our graduate students through fellowships, awards, and grants.
Graduate student fellowships and grants are awarded to enhance academic performance, promote research of consequence, and advance professional development.
Note: The Office of Student Financial Aid may direct the non-need-based awards listed below toward lowering your loans, reducing the amount of money you will borrow. For more information about how a non-need-based award may affect your financial aid package, contact the Financial Aid office.
- Dissertation Completion Grants: These competitive awards go to doctoral students in the final semester of completing their dissertations. They enable students to focus full-time on research and writing, improve the quality of their work, and shorten the time needed to complete their degrees.
- Summer Research Fellowships: These fellowships provide financial support to graduate students during the summer term, allowing them to devote significant time to their dissertation or thesis research. The award fosters greater professional productivity and assists in timely degree completion.
- Graduate Student Travel Fund: This fund helps cover the costs of doctoral and master’s students attendance at and participation in professional conferences.
- Provost PhD Awards: These competitive awards provide supplemental funding to Mason PhD programs.
- Graduate Inclusion & Access Scholarship: This scholarship supports the growth and development of an inclusive graduate community at George Mason University. An inclusive graduate student community is an essential strength of George Mason University. This scholarship, awarded on a competitive basis, is available to doctoral students from disadvantaged and/or underrepresented groups in their respective fields of graduate study. Latest announcement coming soon!
Mason provides in-state eligibility and subsidized health insurance for graduate students who are recipients of certain prestigious scholarships and fellowships.